top of page

Fisherton de la Mere

F de la Mere.jpg

 St Nicholas of Myra

 (within the Middle Wylye Valley Parish) 

Patron Saint Day 
December 6th
Address  

BA12 0PZ

Churchwarden 

Contact the Rector Rev’d Jonathan Plows Rectorwtv@gmail.com, 01722 790616.

Service Times / Types

Christmas, Easter and Harvest Festival. Also available for Baptisms, Weddings and Funerals

History of the Church

The church at Fisherton de la Mere is looked after by the Churches Conservation Trust and is only open for services at Christmas, Easter and Harvest Festival.  

 

Baptisms, weddings and funeral can still be held – please contact the Rector, Rev’d Jonathan Plows Rectorwtv@gmail.com, 01722 790616.

 

This hillside church stands in a pretty churchyard and is a convenient stopping point for Wylye Valley walkers with wonderful views.

There has been a church here since Norman times and the font in the church today dates from that period. However, the current building was built in the fourteenth century and then largely rebuilt in the medieval style in the nineteenth century, using the original materials.

Inside it is light and airy. There is an elegant screen which dates only from 1912 - the architect F C Eden was commissioned to design it, as well as other woodwork in the church.

One of the most touching monuments in the church is a poignant memorial to two babies of Thomas and Joan Crockford, showing one child in bed and the other wrapped in a shroud - Thomas Crockford was the vicar in the 1600s.

bottom of page