top of page

Stapleford

St Mary - Stapleford.jpg

St Mary's, Stapleford

(within the Lower Wylye and Till Valley Parish) 

Patron Saint Day 
8th September
Address  

St. Mary’s Church, Berwick Road, Stapleford, Wiltshire SP3 4LN

Churchwarden 

Colin Carnegy

The Parsonage, Berwick Road, Stapleford, Wiltshire SP3 4LJ

Tel: 01722 790334    email: cdcarnegy@gmail.com

Service Times / Types

Fortnightly service (first and third Sundays) held at 11am, alternating Eucharist with a Morning Service

History of the Church

The oldest parts of the church – the doorway, font and nave arches - date back to the 12th Century.  By the 1300s the lower part of the tower had been added, along with stone seats for clergy and a south chapel.  The church was improved further with high windows to lighten the nave and a two storied porch in the 15th century, and in 1674 the full tower was erected.  This latter houses five 17th century bells, three originally cast by John Wallis of Salisbury.

About Stapleford

St Mary’s (pop 264 including 25 children).  

The church, which is open 24/7, is cherished by its cleaners, award winning flower arrangers, two resident organists, a team of bell ringers, a choir for high days and holidays and of course its congregations, varying from 7 to 13 on a “normal” Sunday to 70 at the last Carol Service and 33 on Christmas Day.  The building is used for concerts and similar events. The village has thriving branches of the Women’s Institute and Royal British Legion, a garage and village shop and a pub, The Pelican.  The Village Hall is in constant demand for events such as the annual Plant Sale, annual Barbecue, Lent and Harvest Lunches, yoga, pilates, coffee mornings, film nights, talks and weekly table tennis.  It also hosts events for special occasions.

bottom of page